Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Mantle of Leadership

There was a change in the Bishopric the other day. I chuckled because they released everyone BUT Mark. I leaned forward to the Primary President sitting front of me and whispered, "They forgot a name!"

Then the second counselor became the first counselor and a new second counselor was called.

I don't know this man well and neither does Mark. But he was strongly impressed that he should be called into the Bishopric as his first counselor had served for a long time (from the previous Bishopric) and was needed in another Priesthood leadership position.

It's always amazing to me that "who the Lord calleth, he qualifies". The new counselor is probably 35 and, up until last Sunday, was an Elder. When they had him come to the stand to sit, he looked a bit stunned throughout the rest of the meeting.

But, by the time I went to fetch my kids from the clerk's office after church (they love to bug the ward financial clerk - the father of 5 mostly grown boys himself), there was a completely different demeanor to this man. It's like he had blossomed.

The poor man got thrown right into the middle of tithing settlement. They hardly have time to train him until next week. He showed up to the church with Mark on Thursday night for Tithing Settlement and again, I noticed what a change there was about him. I wonder if his family has felt and noticed it, too?

It's hard to describe what happens when your husband is serving in the Bishopric and especially as Bishop. There's just something different. I whine and complain when Mark has to travel for business or go to something in the evening for business. But, if he's gone for his calling, it's like I can't even THINK of whining or complaining. There's like a weird absence of the desire to do that.

I remember the day Mark was released the first time he served as a Bishop. We came home from church after and there was just this weird void like we'd left something important at church. Neither of us could describe it exactly - it was just very noticeable that something was gone.

I hope the new counselor's family feels the blessings of service that we have. I know it will be a challenge for them. His wife is newly pregnant with their third child and sicker than sick. I was actually surprised she was at church last Sunday when he was called and I felt really bad for her when he left to sit on the stand and there she sat feeling miserable with two little kids.

No comments: