Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Political Pet Peeves

Okay, I'm already discussing religion, so I might as well add politics into the mix.

I HATE the political season. I wish you could let someone know that you've already decided and that would magically remove all ads from your TV, stop those HORRENDOUSLY annoying phone calls and stop the door bell from ringing all weekend. I'm a conservative Republican and have never voted any other way and most likely never will. So, although I may not always LIKE the Republican candidate, I will vote for him/her.

We have a heated race for governor going on in our state. It's a rematch from 4 years ago. It came down to the 3 legal recounts and the law said whoever won the last recount wins unless the other side files a lawsuit and drags it through the courts. So our current governor LOST the first 2 recounts and then WON the third one by the slimmest of margins. The challenger decided to graciously NOT drag the state through a court battle and he bowed out. It's lost on most of us how you can lose 2 out of 3 times and be the winner. But in this state, the loser can actually be the winner.

What I TRULY hate about politics is the assumption that I am S*T*U*P*I*D. There is an ad being run by the current governor (a Democrat) wherein an OB/GYN laments that the other candidate voted to allow pharmacists to NOT sell the emergency contraception pill. Then she says, "It's wrong that Dino Rossi forces his opinion and choices on the rest of us." Okay, she is concerned about victims of rape and incest having access to the pill (really, she just wants everyone to have access to it but she's not saying that - it's more dramatic to single out victims). Dino Rossi merely voted to allow pharmacists to CHOOSE to sell the pill or not. He didn't demand that they ALL stop selling it. He just voted, oh, let's call it "PRO-CHOICE" when it comes to selling the pill. How is voting to allow a business owner to CHOOSE forcing anyone to do anything? That doesn't mean that NO pharmacist will sell it. It just means that pharmacists who don't agree with essentially an abortion pill won't be FORCED to sell it. So, how is it that SHE should be forcing her opinions and choices on the rest of us?????

I was so mad that I actually looked for an email address for that doctor. I couldn't find one, but I wanted to tell her that for a doctor, she was mighty dumb to have even SAID what she said. She was treating the public like they were stupid.

I really wish this election was over. Elections drag out too long, are too costly, and at the end of the day, are too stacked full of people who really need to go get a REAL job after a few years of public service. It's sad that the average American can really never run the country. It's become like the House of Lords at times with people feeling like they or their family are owed the right to be in political office. Ted Kennedy has expressed his wishes that his wife or son take over his seat when he passes away. That's what titled men do in England - they pass their political seat down to their heirs in the House of Lords. I thought we had a little war or something over 200 years ago to get away from that??

How many days are left?? I can't wait for this to be over... Be sure to vote, though. I love the letter that the church sends out reminding us of political neutrality and that we should vote for good men and women who will make good moral choices for our country. Everyone gets to choose that person. I'm grateful for a church who doesn't tell me who the RIGHT person is.

1 comment:

Lara said...

I had the EXACT same reaction the the "Why should Dino Rossi force us choices on us" ad--well, not the attempting to contact the woman, but I was hollering the same stuff at the TV LOL.