Saturday, October 4, 2008

When Dad is Bishop

Last week, N dragged home a bike with one wheel. One of the neighborhood kids had pawned it off on him. He HAD the wheel but it was in his other hand. I spent all week conjuring up some plan to deposit it back into the neighbor's yard under cover of darkness and then hoping that N wouldn't notice it was no longer sitting in our front yard (I'm sure the neighbors love the "garage annex" aka our front yard.)

Today, I noticed that the wheel had somehow gotten back together with the bike. I asked N if he had done it and he said he had, with the help of our neighbor.

That's the tricky part of having your dad as the Bishop. The lawn always grows just a little too high before it gets cut. The toilet leaks just a little longer before it finally gets fixed and the kids' "projects" get put off as long as possible and then one of our boys will go off and ask whoever is outside washing their car to help them. I'm grateful to the few neighborhood dads we have who are willing to dig out the tools and put the pedal back on the bike. They probably think Mark is the biggest slacker in the universe, though - LOL!

You should have seen Mark during Pine Wood Derby season this year. He had TWO to get done in less than 4 weeks. His first counselor also has two cub scouts. I joked that they would be sitting in Bishopric meeting discussing the ward while sanding cars. I know the boys are supposed to do it, but they need supervision and that's what Dads are for. But, when dads are super busy, sometimes it's lucky to get done at all.

I've come to the conclusion that this calling isn't for families who have to have things done YESTERDAY. If I was the kind of wife who was a nagger, it would make Mark's life miserable. Instead, I'm okay with pulling the top off the toilet tank to push the flapper down for the 4th time this week because it doesn't always go down by itself. And, I'm okay with the Christmas stuff not getting dragged from the crawl space until the last minute because of tithing settlement 4 nights a week for the first half of December.

And, the boys seem to be just fine with asking "Neighbor Mike" to help them with their bikes. And we appreciate "Neighbor Mike" being kind enough to help. We pay him in Chocolate Chip cookies on Sunday nights so I think he's happy.

No comments: