Friday, November 7, 2008

I thought I escaped the drama...

My mom was one of those women who, in a fit of anger, would yell, "I HOPE YOU HAVE A DAUGHTER JUST LIKE YOU SO YOU CAN SEE WHAT I'VE GONE THROUGH!!!!!!!!!!" (only she used *ahem* "stronger" language than that at times)

So, what did I do? I didn't have any daughters. SO THERE! Mom.

The weird thing is that I don't remember being THAT BAD! Maybe my memory has dimmed with age, but aside from wishing my brother was dead for being his eternal victim for whatever rotten thing he wanted to do to me, I don't remember having a tumultuous relationship with my mother or slamming doors or being over-the-top ridiculous with the theatrics.

But, I still received a portion of THE CURSE as I call it. I have an 11 year old son who is more than making up for any lack of a daughter.

He is the DRAMA KING.

He waffles in between telling all his 5th grad friends that they will LOVE Middle School and sitting at the breakfast table with his head on it crying that, "I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT MIDDLE SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HATE IT! HATE IT! HAAAAAAATE ITTTTTT!!!!!!"

I assume that some of it is hormones that are starting to kick up. But, most of it is just him. Add to that his extreme lack of organizational skills and his impression that the universe doesn't have a clock by which anyone has to operate and I sometimes wonder if he'll be living with us until he dies.

He's a great kid, but he's really, really stubborn and when things don't go his way, he pops a cork. We just continually try to channel that stubbornness for good and not for drama.

This parenthood stuff is hard. We should warn the others.

1 comment:

Musicmom-Amy said...

I'm busting up here :D I SO picture N doing this. But guess what? This is the stage we call "PD". Pre-Deacon!! Hold on to your seats, it doesn't quit for a loooonng time :D BTDT ~ heading there again with Mr. D.