Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11


At bedtime last night, D asked me, "Tomorrow is a sad day. What happened on September 11". I then spent some time telling the kids about what happened on 9/11/2001. They were 2 1/2 and 4 on that awful morning. They didn't know what was going on that day, except that I sat on the couch in a puddle of tears glued to the TV all day. I was careful to not let them watch much of the horror.

Those images are seared into my head. I will never forget that horrible, awful, sickening scene. I got up after Mark called me on his way to work in downtown Seattle. I got up, turned on the TV and then called him back, begging him to come home immediately. He worked in a taller building downtown and my fear was that there were dozens of planes in the air ready to start hitting tall buildings in major cities across America right at rush-hour. He said he was already on his way that pretty much all of the freeway was slowly reversing itself as people got word of what was going on and either decided to not continue into work, or their place of work shut down for the day due to safety concerns. All the tall buildings in downtown Seattle were shut down.

One horrid image in my head is one of a man who jumped in desperation. The news show I was watching caught him on a close-up and followed him for several seconds as he fell. I was sickened as I realized that his loved-ones might be watching the same thing. According to some reports, hundreds did the same and jumped to their death.

I hope every American wakes up this morning with remembrance. Not just sadness but anger and the resolve to never let this happen again. I also hope it compels people to register to vote today and then use their vote to elect good men and women who will always protect and defend America in any way necessary so that no other generation will have to suffer such a horrific event again.

God Bless America and God Bless those families whose lives were changed forever 7 years ago.

No comments: