Monday, September 1, 2008

Great Parenting Advice

LINK

I feel strongly that consistent rule enforcement and discipline coupled with teaching gospel principles FROM BIRTH gives you the best chance of success as a parent. The older my boys get, the less I have to get on them for things. They are STILL boys (body noises and all), but, they are making good choices with their friends and activities. I hope this will continue and that we have laid a good foundation for them.

Whey our oldest was born, I had an overwhelming sense of "hurry". I only had EIGHT SHORT YEARS to prepare him to be accountable for his own actions. That frightened me. How do you shape a child of God in EIGHT YEARS? If he fails, then we failed. Yes, he has his agency, but I hope both of them will use their agency appropriately as they grow.

Someone in a past ward once mocked me because we had family scripture study every night with our infant son. She implied we were wasting our time. I didn't think so. And, any parent who's tried to have FHE with a 2 year old knows that it's often more frustration than anything else. But, our kids don't remember a time when we DIDN'T do those things. And, I have to believe that our infant sons understood the words we read to them. Afterall, they were so fresh from heaven... They probably understood them better than we did.

Of course, my parenting theory will be most likely heavily tested in the coming years as our sons become teenagers. I know it won't be without bumps, but I hope the bumps are smaller because we thought forward in our parenting and tried to prepare them from birth withstand the world.

We'll be watching anxiously.

No comments: