Saturday, September 20, 2008

SISSSSSTERRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In August we spent the week at Cub Scout Day Camp. I volunteered for a couple of days. There were 150 cubs there and probably only a handful of them were LDS.

Being the Bishop's Wife (my label), all the little scouts would greet me each day - sometimes from across the field I would hear, "HI SISTER G!!!!" It reminded me of being in downtown Seattle with Young Women several years ago. They were all strung out behind me and when I would get too far ahead or one of them wanted to stop and look, they would yell, "SISTER G!!!!!!!". I wondered how many people around me were thinking, "Huh. She doesn't look like a nun."

The whole "Brother" and "Sister" thing baffles outsiders at times. It's so natural to us. My kids sometimes have trouble when they know a school teacher is LDS - they don't know how to address them because their natural inclination is to call them "Brother Jones" or "Sister Smith" not "Mister Jones" and "Mrs Smith".

Then there's the whole "what do you call your Bishop when you're hanging out with him" thing. That's always sort of humorous to listen to how people handle it. "Mark. Uh, Bishop. Uhhhh, Mark?" But that's a whole different topic...

No comments: