Sunday, September 7, 2008

NEVER Pray for Patience

I'm a firm believe in never praying for patience. I learned the hard way that Heavenly Father has a sense of humor...

Case in point; a few days ago, in our prayer, Mark prayed that I might have patience the next day. Oh, one would think that they next day would be a breeze - me being blessed with patience and all. But, noooooooooooo!!! That's not what happened. And, at the end of that day, I told Mark I would poke my finger in his eye socket DURING the prayer if he EVER did that to me again.

So, what happened that day to try my patience? Well, it was what I call "Tune-up Tuesday". N and D had their annual physicals in the morning and then eye doctor appointments in the afternoon. It was a "getting ready for school" kind of thing.

So, we're at the doctor and everything is going along just fine until the nurse blurts out, "So, I see that they both need their Chicken Pox boosters and their Hep B immunizations. Do you want to go ahead and get those today?" Oh, no, don't make it sound like an option, lady!!!! Under my breath I whispered, "yes", hoping the children hadn't heard a word she said.

Too late! The minute she left the room, N, who is old enough to suck it up and take his shots like a man, started SCREAMING at me hysterically. Here we are sitting in room with the door closed and my child is screaming, "PLEASE MOM, NO!" over and over and over - I can't imagine what everyone in the hall is thinking. In between he's doing what we call his "Moo-cry" where he literally sounds like a distressed moo-ing cow. Oh, and on top of that, just for good measure, he stiffens his limbs out at the top of the cry and jerks his body causing the table he's sitting on to SLAM into the wall. Over and over he's begging me to tell her "Not today". He's willing to make a deal with the Devil if I'll JUST tell her we are going to wait (what, until he's 40?).

So, I'm in his face trying to whisper some reason into his head. I'm telling him he's embarrassing himself and me. He screams, "I DON'T CARE!" I'm telling him he's going to lose Wii for a month and he just jerks and screams louder. It goes on for TWENTY-FIVE MINUTES while we waited for the doctor. Meanwhile, his younger brother is sitting on the other end of the table reading "Green Eggs and Ham" going, "Shots hurt. So what. Whatever..."

The doctor comes in and it CONTINUES all through D's exam. I don't think the doctor could even hear D's heart beat. N is just sitting there blubbering and moo-ing like a dying cow. I was HORRIFIED!

Finally, the doctor gets to him to do his physical and gets him calmed down (give that man a raise!).

Then he says the same nurse who suggested we get the shots is going to come give them and SHE'S GOOD! So, he leaves and she comes in. She swabs off D's arms with alcohol and pops a needle in each arm while he sits on my lap. He was like, "Did you even give them to me?"

Then it's N's turn. The moo-ing starts ramping up again and he starts to go "animal" on me. The begging starts again - I'm the meanest mom in the world because I said, "Yes". He's trying to get out of the room. I get him on my lap and literally hog-tie his arms with my hands. She pops a needle in each arm and he relaxes, jumps off my lap and says, "Hey, you're right, D, that didn't hurt at all"...

If I could have crawled out the window to get to my car, I would have.

Patience! DO NOT EVER PRAY FOR IT and DON'T LET YOUR HUSBAND DO THAT TO YOU! The price of patience is too high. How about we pray I just get through the day unscathed?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was laughing so hard tears were streaming down my face. Sorry it happened, but that was dang funny!

Musicmom-Amy said...

Oh, the imagination of that scene. You poor thing! But oh so N :D Tell the boys it could have been worse ~ Mr. D had to have 4 shots!!! And she got a Papa Murphy's Brave patient pizza coupon out of the deal :D

Kim said...

it was a special time.... sort of like D's "I don't want to go home so I'm going to hide in the balls in the ball pit at Ikea and make security practically lock down the store looking for me" special time... Hmmm, I might have to blog about that one, too. Equal time.