Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Attention Utah Drivers...

That sign on the side of the freeway with the big numbers on it is informing you of a SPEED LIMIT. Let's define the word LIMIT... generally, it means that that's the MOST you can have or do. So, if the speed LIMIT sign has a big 6 and 5 on it, the law is saying that the FASTEST you can drive is 65 mph.

I just returned from a week in the lovely state of Utah and I followed my future sister-in-law from Salt Lake City to Roy one evening. She finally called me on my cell phone and said, "I don't see you. Where are you?" I told her I was trying to strike a balance between keeping up with her and following the law (my NORMAL state of driving). So, while she was careening down the road at warp speed, I was plugging along uncomfortably at about 70 mph with the voices of my kids (who weren't with me) in me head echoing their normal , "Mommy, how fast are you going?" She said, "Okay, you pass me and we'll go your speed. I'll try not to tail-gate you."

What is it with Utahns and speed? Seriously, there are laws people and we should be following them. Read the 12th Article of Faith if you need a little reminder. Slow down... but not as much as my father-in-law who has (and I'm not kidding) been pulled over TWICE on I-15 for driving TOO SLOW. Go figure - they'll stop the slow ones. Maybe the cops can't catch the rest.

Even one of my Utah brother-in-laws mentioned that he found it refreshing when they came to visit us this summer that people weren't speeding like crazy through Seattle. I said, "We have cops who know how to stop people - and they do."

5 comments:

Musicmom-Amy said...

I haven't figured out who drives faster Utahians or Californians. A BIG toss up. My friend went NUTS with how "slow" we drove. She actually passed me and was going 65 down Brown Rd. by the Stake Center. OIY!!!

It took a massive spinout to slow down our Utah friend. He literally thought he was going to die. Now he's Mr. Careful.

Kim said...

I spend a considerable amount of time mentally screaming and with sweaty palms in BOTH states when I first arrive. The perfect storm is Provo. You have CA kids and UT kids all competing on the roads. It's got to be the worst place in the universe to drive.

Jim Peless said...

The biggest reason people drive slower in this state is that with the enormous amount of traffic that we have to deal with you CAN'T speed! I've lived in 7 different states, and I honestly see less police in this state than any other I have lived in...

Musicmom-Amy said...

You should have seen the amount of police between here and the Temple on Friday night. Then last night from our house to the Stake Center ~ in places they NEVER sit. Must meet their unspoken quota for the end of the month.

No, speeding for me :D

Randall Smith said...

I agree. I live in Virginia (and am a Bishop also), and we have pretty strict enforcement up and down the East Coast. The Utah situation recalls a comment by the late George Carlin, who said:

"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"

I remember a time when I felt that way as a young man. My speed has moderated over the years. Now, I am driving even slower out of a sense of fiscal and public responsibility not to use too much precious motor fuel.