Tuesday, September 30, 2008

So Glad I Have What I Have

D went down to the bus stop last week and one of the neighborhood boys a year younger than him was sporting a self-inflicted ear piercing. Of course, instead of being impressed like he hoped I would be, all I could think of to say was, "Dude, that's really red. Does your mom know you did that?"

So, here stands a third grader being all "cool" with his new ear ring. I'm old enough to still believe that earrings are for girls! Even D focused in on the potential infection once I said that. I hoped that it turned something that was supposed to have a high "cool effect" into a "gosh, I hope his ear doesn't fall off" moment.

So, now, guess what we're going to talk about for Family Home Evening next week? We'll be hauling out the New Era and Ensign articles about piercings and tattoos. I'm so very grateful for the words of the prophets and other leaders. Really, it makes my job as a parent easier. Instead of saying, "You're not getting a tattoo or ear ring because I SAID SO!" We can sit down and have a discussion about what's right and how our bodies are sacred temples that should not be defaced.

I can't imagine parenting without a purpose. By that I mean swimming around making arbitrary decisions based on my personal opinion and nothing else. Instead of saying "No" for the sake of saying "no", I can say, "No... and here's why". Then we can talk about what the Lord expects of us and the children have the opportunity to feel the Spirit as they seek confirmation to what we've taught them. They won't always go pray about it because their humanity will try to overcome their spirits. But, they will know what's right and hopefully that will touch them enough to at least bother them a bit if they make the wrong choice.

N used to have a nice CTR ring - which, of course he lost because children eventually lose everything - including their mother's sanity - but, he wore it to school all through the 4th grade. His 4th grade teacher - a single non-LDS 20-something asked him about the ring and said it was COOL! When N explained what it meant, his teacher asked if N could get him one. So, guess what the teacher got at the end of the year?! I'm so glad that we can teach our kids what the RIGHT is in the Choose The Right. This teacher is now with the Peace Corps in China and I hope he's still wearing the ring and choosing the right even though he may not always understand "the right".

Really, the gospel makes your job as a parent much easier. You can turn to heavenly resources to help you teach your children what is right. A great plan.

No comments: